Are you brooding because another Ram Navami has passed? Have you been dreaming of Ram Navami delicacies again? What if we told you that we have a few dishes in mind that you can devour all year round! With health comes happiness and that’s why you can enjoy these healthy Ram Navami dishes with Himalayan Natives.
“Let’s Start With Something To Drink!”
Panakam can also be referred to as panagam or panaka. Panakam is created using an array of spices and is quite simple to make. It isn’t a typical jaggery sweet recipe. This Ram Navami special dish is a healthy jaggery recipe. It’s the best way to detoxify your body. The various natural spices help build immunity and increase organ functions. Here’s how you can make this healthy drink!
- ½ cup jaggery powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- Garlic ( optional )
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of edible camphor
- Cilantro leaves
- A touch of desi ghee
- To a bowl add water and jaggery powder and mix well.
- Pour this mix into a saucepan and boil it with a medium flame.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, garlic, desi ghee, and lemon juice.
- Switch off the flame and add a pinch of edible camphor.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper as per taste.
- Garnish with a few cilantro leaves.
- And your Panakam is ready to enjoy!.
You may always adjust the amount of water, lemon juice, and spice powders in it to meet your specific needs. The natural jaggery powder is not just a healthy alternative to sugar but also brings out the traditional flavors of this drink. To make it a fun drink for the kids try adding in some swollen basil seeds before serving.
A traditional south Indian dish that is essentially a rendition of a salad. We can either call it Kosambari or koshambari. This moong dal recipe is served as an offering to Lord Rama during Ram Navami. It also makes the perfect healthy snack for a hungry stomach. Made with simple ingredients, this moong dal recipe can be served as a snack or with any meal. Here’s how you can cook this delicious dish.
- ¼ cup moong dal
- Enough water for soaking moong dal
- 1.5 cups finely chopped cucumber
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice (add as per taste)
- Salt as required
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (Kadi Patta) - chopped or kept whole
- Rinse moong dal and soak for 1-2 hours
- Drain and let it rest in a bowl
- Add finely chopped cucumber, grated coconut, and coriander leaves
- Add one green chili to the mix ( you can also use extra black pepper instead )
- Squeeze the lime juice as per your requirements
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it
- Let it cook till the seed crackles
- Add a few curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida
- Stir well and the switch flame off
- Add this to the salad and mix well.
- If you’re serving after a while, make the dish well refrigerated.
This nutritious meal serves as a healthy side as the pulses and seeds contribute towards better immunity and healthy organ functions. This moong dal recipe also introduces antioxidants that help keep inflammation away and protect the body from any bacteria.
Check out another amazing salad on our Instagram page!
“What’s for the main course?”
Samvat rice khichdi
Samvat khichdi is a delicious and healthy dish that you can enjoy on any day. The natural ingredients make it super healthy and the perfect comfort food. Here is how you can make the best and healthiest samvat rice khichdi:
- 1 cup millet or basmati rice
- Cubed potatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground chili
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp desi ghee
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Pinch of pink salt
- Soak millet or basmati rice in a bowl for an hour drain and keep aside
- In a thick bottomed pan add desi ghee and cumin seeds. Fry till the seeds change color
- Add ginger, green chili paste, and black pepper till the raw aroma goes away
- Add potatoes, stir and saute for two minutes
- Add millets/ basmati rice and stir.
- Pour in one cup of water and a pinch of salt
- Cover the dish and cook on a low flame. ( keep a check on it at regular intervals)
- Once the millet is cooked you can switch off the flame and add the coriander.
Having natural ingredients like millets, desi ghee, pink salt, and cumin brings out the most aromatic features of this dish. The spices and millet help in easy digestion and building strength. Usually served with a dollop of desi ghee, khichdi is one of the healthiest comfort foods anyone can have at any time.
“I saved room for dessert !”
Coming from the southern states that are famous for their coconut oil recipes, Payasam is similar to north Indian kheer. It is a rice pudding that uses different sweeteners and natural ingredients. Rice payasam is a super simple dessert that every south Indian loves! The best part being it only requires 4 ingredients that can be found in any kitchen. It is essentially the best ghee and rice recipe. Here’s how you can make the healthiest rice payasam any day:
- 4 tbsp basmati rice
- 1 L full cream milk
- 4 tbsp jaggery powder
- 1 tbsp desi ghee
- ⅔ cup Cashews ( roasted in desi ghee )
- 1 tbsp raisins
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and add basmati rice
- Saute the rice for 30 seconds but do NOT let it brown
- Add pre-boiled milk and stir well
- Once the mix has heated up add the jaggery powder and mix well.
- Let the rice cook on medium-low heat
- Cover with a lid (if you are staying close to the pot in the kitchen)
- Once the rice is cooked you can let the mixture continue cooking on low flame till it reaches a semi-thick consistency
- Add in the roasted cashews and raisins.
- Give it a good mix. It should semi-coat the back of your spoon
- Garnish with natural dry fruits and nuts, rose petals, or caramelized cashews.
Payasam is a decadent healthy dessert that is loved by people of all ages. The jaggery and ghee bring out traditional flavors of payasam. Like other ghee recipes, it is known for not just improving one's mood but also their digestion. Payasam is a perfect dessert to be enjoyed all year round!
After a fun-filled Ram Navami, we do not have to bid farewell to some amazing dishes. Make sure you surprise your family with their favorite ghee and jaggery recipes. You can always make any dish healthy by using natural ingredients. Let’s make sure the food we eat all year round brings forward happy memories and utmost health.
Also read our blog: Eat Right for a Healthy Life