Breakfast means “breaking the fast”, which is the first and foremost meal of the day, right after the long fasting period that you observed while sleeping. There are many healthy breakfast options to choose from and we will discuss some of them here but before that let's understand the importance of breakfast.
Health benefits of breakfast:
- Breakfast is necessary to jump-start your morning. It replenishes your supply of glucose and boosts your energy level and alertness.
- It provides essential nutrients to the body. Breakfast foods are rich in key nutrients like folate, calcium, iron, B vitamins, and fiber. Also, most of the breakfast options are protein-rich. A protein-rich breakfast aids in muscle health and manages blood-sugar levels. It also helps you stay fuller for a longer period.
- Breakfast also helps you in controlling your weight as it prevents large fluctuations in blood glucose levels, thereby controlling your appetite. So instead of loading up on a heavy dinner, eat a grand meal at breakfast time.
How to make your breakfast healthy?
A healthy and balanced breakfast can stoke your energy engine. To make your breakfast healthy you need to make sure that it is a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, and fibers. You can try to include these nutritious foods for breakfast every day and take advantage of all the health benefits they have to offer.
How to make your breakfast healthy?
Here's a list of ten breakfast foods that are super delicious and super healthy.
- Eggs: Eggs make a nutritious, protein-rich breakfast choice. They are an excellent source of protein and help support muscle synthesis and also help to keep you feeling full. They are the best sources of choline, a vital nutrient for brain and liver health. Egg yolk contains lutein and zeaxanthin that help prevent eye disorders like cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Greek yogurt: It makes for a quick breakfast, is lower in calories, and is high in proteins. It is full of beneficial nutrients like vitamin B12, calcium, zinc, potassium, and phosphorus. Some of these can also be a good source of probiotics that support gut health.
- Oatmeal: This classic breakfast option is rich in fiber and helps reduce cholesterol levels and promote a feeling of fullness. It is a good source of iron, B vitamins, manganese, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
- Chia seeds: They are very nutritious and are a great source of fiber. They help you feel full and help prevent overeating.
- Berries: This delicious breakfast food is very nutritious and packed with antioxidants. They contain anthocyanin, a type of antioxidant that is linked to reducing inflammation and lowering the risk of illnesses like heart disease.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseeds are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein. They help lower blood levels of cholesterol, improve insulin sensitivity, and lower blood sugar.
- Banana: Bananas make a quick and convenient breakfast option. They are a great source of potassium and also help support digestive health.
- Cottage cheese: It is a protein-rich breakfast food and is also low in calories.
- Whole grain toast: It is high in fiber and complex carbohydrates which digest slowly and do not raise the blood sugar levels rapidly.
- Nuts: Nuts are a great source of antioxidants. They are also high in magnesium, potassium, and monounsaturated fat.
These are some of the most nutritious foods that you can eat for breakfast and kick-start your day. You must never skip your breakfast whether you have the time or not as it gives you the energy to last all day long. Start your day with these quick, easy, and healthy breakfast options that will make the best breakfast for those hustling mornings.
Smoothie Bowl Recipe
This quick, easy and healthy breakfast option can be prepared in less than 5 minutes. It's not just healthy but also super delicious. Use your own creativity and add/subtract any ingredients as per your preference and enjoy this quick breakfast option.
- Greek yogurt
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Spoon the Greek yogurt (you can also use regular yogurt) into a bowl.
- Arrange the remaining ingredient to your liking into the same bowl and drizzle with honey.
- Enjoy your breakfast!
Overnight Oats are another healthy yet easy dish made with soaking quick-cooking oats or rolled oats with milk, water, or yogurt overnight in the fridge. It is a type of healthy breakfast that doesn’t need any cooking and won’t take more than 5 minutes to be ready.
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats/ rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Assorted Nuts
- Chopped Fresh seasonal fruits
- Honey or jaggery powder
- Combine the oats and chia seeds in a bowl, a mason jar, or a glass cup
- Add almond milk and leave it overnight in the fridge. You can use water if you don’t want to use milk or yogurt.
- Next morning, add honey or jaggery powder to it and mix well.
- Top it up with your favorite nuts, seeds, choco chips, peanut butter, or fruits.
- You can optionally use coconut or soy milk. To make it even richer you can soak the oats in cow milk or yogurt overnight.
- Relish this delicious breakfast meal and avail all its health benefits.
Healthy Ghee Toast
This healthy ghee toast is full of nutrients and makes for a super quick and healthy breakfast option
- Whole wheat / whole grain bread slice
- Pure cow ghee
- Toppings of your choice
- Toast a slice of bread
- Spread pure cow ghee on it
- Dress it with the toppings of your choice. You can use nut butter, Nutella, cheese spread, fruits, veggies, seeds, etc. Feel free to use your imagination.
- Enjoy this quick breakfast and stay healthy and energetic!
No breakfast discussion is complete without talking about the first thing that comes to our mind when we hear the word "Breakfast". Yes, you're right! We are talking about eggs. There are various healthy breakfast ideas with eggs but let’s try some of them with a little twist.
Toad in the Hole
We have all eaten the regular half-fried eggs but let's make it with a little twist. Instead of just frying the egg on the pan, like how we always do, let’s cook it inside the bread slice like a toad in a hole.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- Pure ghee
- Salt and pepper
- Cut out the center of each bread slice. Reserve the cut-outs.
- Coat a large non-stick pan with ghee.
- Toast the bread slice and cut out over medium-low heat until golden brown.
- Turn them over.
- Break and slip an egg into the center cut-out.
- Cover the pan and cook slowly until white is completely set and yolk begins to thicken but should not get hard.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with cutouts and enjoy this half-fried egg recipe.
Coffee Cup Scramble
Another super fast and healthy, protein-rich bowl of breakfast.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. chopped mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. Shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 2 sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ghee
- Salt and pepper
- Coat a 250ml coffee cup with ghee.
- Add egg, spinach, mushrooms, little water, salt, and pepper(according to taste).
- Beat with a fork until blended.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds; stir.
- Microwave until egg is almost set, 30-45 seconds longer.
- Top it up with cheese and tomatoes and serve immediately.
- Don't overcook. Scrambled eggs will continue to cook and firm up after being removed from the microwave. Microwave ovens vary so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Masala French Toast
This masala french toast is a healthy way to satiate your Indian palate.
- 2 large eggs
- Very finely chopped onion, green chili, and cilantro.
- Turmeric, salt, and pepper to taste
- Pure ghee
- 2 bread slices (the bread should not be very soft)
- ⅓ cup milk
- Whisk together all the eggs, onion ( keep some for sprinkling later), green chilies, turmeric, salt, pepper, cilantro, and milk in a wide bowl ( big enough to fit the bread slice)
- Heat a non-stick pan and add ½ teaspoon of ghee and spread evenly.
- Dip one slice of bread in the egg mixture and gently press down so that the bread can absorb the egg mixture.
- Flip the bread over and repeat on the other side.
- Carefully place the soaked bread on the pan and sprinkle some extra onion on top.
- Cook on medium heat for a minute until it turns golden brown.
- Turn over and cook the other side also.
- Serve hot with some green chutney and masala tea for a lovely breakfast.