New Year's eve is joyously celebrated around the world. But no matter where it is celebrated, it is the time of year that brings family and friends together. It is a time of celebrations, good food, and cheerful music. The start of a New Year is also a time of reflection, as we take a moment to think of the year that has passed and the year that is to come. With that said, many people also follow the culture of making New Year resolutions for a healthy life that helps them stick to a healthy routine and achieve their fitness goals for the coming year.
As the old Irish Proverb says, "No time for your health today, no health for your time tomorrow." If you don't take care of your health, you won't have the health to take care of.
Delicious and healthy foods have always been the universal essential in any celebration. Many families have special dishes they make only on this special occasion of starting their new year. The traditional New Year celebrated in India is one of the most secular festivals, with people engaging in activities such as praying and performing rituals at home, sharing special dishes with neighbours, and feasting with family and friends.
It’s time we introduce to you some of the best New Year welcome foods and recipes you should try this coming 2023. These 6 recipes are sure to fill your New Year's start with delicious flavour, adequate nutrition and a balanced diet. It’s worth mentioning that we all collectively faced some major challenges in the past two years, that has put all of humanity to the test. This has not only made almost 70% of Indians and people around the world health conscious but also made them switch to a healthier diet and lifestyle.
6 New Years' Good Luck Recipes:
1. Gud Wale Chawal (Jaggery Rice): This is a special type of rice recipe that is made with jaggery (gud). It is a traditional North Indian dish that is often served during festivals and special occasions. The combination of Jaggery Powder and rice gives the dish a unique sweet and savoury flavour. It is also a healthy dish as jaggery is a natural sweetener and is rich in minerals and vitamins.
1 cup Basmati Rice
1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Black Peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
2 tablespoons Desi Cow Ghee
2 tablespoons Cashew Nuts
2 tablespoons Golden Raisins
2 tablespoons Chopped Coriander Leaves
2 tablespoons Chopped Mint Leaves
Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
Heat a pan over medium heat and add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, and black peppercorns. Roast them for a few minutes until they become fragrant.
Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix everything together and cook for a few minutes.
Add the ghee and mix everything together.
Add the cashew nuts, raisins, and chopped coconut.
Your delicious rice recipe is ready to be served hot!
Well, did you know?
Legumes such as beans, peas, and lentils are often seen as symbols of wealth and are thought to bring good luck and prosperity in the upcoming year. Let’s look at a recipe using this lucky superfood.
2. Lentil Tacos: They turn out to be a super tasty quick snack option to start your new year with. They are packed with protein and fibre, as it has Green Gram, Pumpkin Seeds and a lot of extra veggies. Lentils are also a great source of iron, making them a great choice for vegetarians and vegans. The best thing is it's easy to make and can be customized with your favourite toppings.
1 cup cooked Green Gram
1/2 cup Pumpkin Seed
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced capsicum
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Cow Ghee Original
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon Pink Salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8-10 soft taco shells
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, diced avocado, diced red onion, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa etc.
Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the red onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cooked lentils, pumpkin seeds, chilli powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Heat the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes per side.
To assemble the tacos, divide the lentil and pumpkin seed mixture among the tortillas. Top with your favourite toppings such as cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
Serve and enjoy!
3. Honey Cinnamon Tea: A delicious beverage that can be enjoyed hot or cold with the amazing aroma and flavour of cinnamon, Raw Honey, and tea making it a perfect choice for any time of the day. This tea helps to boost immunity as well as improve digestion due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Honey Cinnamon Tea also helps in weight loss by reducing cravings and promoting metabolism. The combination of honey and cinnamon makes this drink ideal for soothing sore throats due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Lastly, this drink helps to relax both the mind and body due to its calming effects.
1 teaspoon of Raw Honey
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 cups of boiling water
Optional: 2 tea bags (black or green) and a lemon wedge for added flavour.
Heat the water in a kettle until it boils.
Place one teaspoon of honey into a mug, followed by 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Stir to combine the two
Pour the boiling water into the mug and stir to dissolve the honey and cinnamon
If desired, add two tea bags (black or green) for an extra boost of flavour
Let sit for 3-5 minutes before removing tea bags (if using).
Squeeze a lemon wedge over your cup before serving if you'd like an added citrus kick! Enjoy!
4. Black Eyed Peas Curry: Black Eyed Peas Curry is a special dish because it is a traditional Indian dish that is packed with flavour and nutrition. It is made with black-eyed peas, which are high in protein and fibre, and a variety of spices that give it a unique flavour. The dish is also vegan and gluten-free, making it a great option for those with dietary restrictions.
2 cups black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
2 tablespoons A2 Gir Cow Bilona Ghee
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup water
Drain and rinse the black-eyed peas.
Heat the Ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, water, and black-eyed peas. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Add the cilantro and season with salt to taste.
Serve hot with steamed rice or naan. Enjoy!
5. Honey Plum Cake: This is a delicious and unique dessert that is sure to tantalize your taste buds. This delectable cake consists of a moist, light sponge cake filled with sweet honey, juicy plums and crunchy dry fruits and nuts. It can be enjoyed as an afternoon snack or even for breakfast! The combination of flavours creates a perfect balance between sweetness from the Raw Honey and tartness from the plums which makes this cake simply irresistible. Topped off with some buttercream frosting, this cake is also incredibly moist and fluffy, making it a great dessert to add to your good luck foods for the 2023 list.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil -
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6–7 ripe Honey plums, pitted and chopped into small cubes (reserve a few for garnish)
1 cup coarsely chopped Almonds
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch round springform pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a separate large bowl, combine sugar and oil until creamy using a hand mixer. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing after each addition until just incorporated.
Gently fold in the chopped honey plums and walnuts with a spatula or spoon until evenly distributed throughout the batter; do not overmix!
Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and arrange reserved plum cubes on top for garnish ( optional ).
Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Let cool completely before serving; enjoy!
Now, before this last recipe, we would like to share with you another exciting blog which will help you make the right and healthy eating choices in the year 2023: Stop eating that, Start eating this - Healthy Food Options.
6. Chaat Mix: Everyone's favourite savoury snack in India. It is usually found in roadside stalls and has a complex flavour profile, offering a combination of sweet, tangy, salty, and spicy tastes in every bite. Indian cuisine is renowned for its Chaats, and there are many different ways to serve it. This dish has Pomegranate as a good luck food and the flavourful crunch of Roasted Flax Seeds.
1 cup Chickpeas
1/3 cup Coriander, leaves
2 Garlic cloves, small
1 tsp Ginger
3 Green chile, small
1 Lemon, wedges
2 Plum tomato, medium
3/4 cup Pomegranate
2 Potato, medium
1/2 cup Red onion
1 Date tamarind chutney
1 tsp Lemon juice
Baking & spices
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2 1/4 Himalayan Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
Nuts & seeds:
1 tbsp Coconut, dry
1/2 tsp Cumin, roasted powder
½ cup Roasted Flax Seeds
Masalas and Curd:
½ teaspoon chaat masala
½ teaspoon kala namak
¾ cup sev (available in Indian stores)
1 cup Sweet Curd
Add 1 cup boiled potato, onion, chopped coriander leaves, chaat masala, black salt granules, cumin powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, green chilli finely diced.
Stir the ingredients together thoroughly, sample the dish and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Be careful not to add too much spice, as we will be topping it with chutneys.
Mix together yoghurt, chaat masala, sugar, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and roasted cumin powder in a small bowl. Place the mixture in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
In a blender, combine coriander, green chilli, dry coconut, ginger, garlic, cumin, salt, lime juice, a small ice cube (to retain the green colour), and a small amount of water. Blend until the ingredients are smooth.
Now take a large bowl and add the chickpea-potato mixture and spread evenly.
Add chopped tomato, and top it with a few teaspoons each of coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.
Add the Yoghurt mixture.
Top it with finely chopped coriander leaves, sev, roasted flax seeds, and pomegranate seeds.
Serve immediately. Enjoy this Chaat with Papdi!
What are you waiting for? Get ready with the natural food products from Himalayan Natives and an empty stomach with your friends and family with good luck and good food.
Let’s talk about New Year goals and healthy eating because it is important. Eating a healthy diet can have many positive impacts on your life, such as improving your physical and mental health, reducing the risk of certain diseases and chronic illnesses, helping you maintain a healthy weight, promoting better sleep habits and providing energy throughout the day. Making healthy eating one of your New Year goals is an important way to ensure you are taking care of yourself now and in years to come.
The best way to switch to a healthy and natural foods diet in 2023 is to:
Eat Whole Foods
Avoid Processed Foods
Incorporate Plant-Based Proteins
Eat Healthy Fats
Limit Sugar Intake
Drink Plenty of Water
We hope you liked what you read, and if you are wondering where else will I get more of such healthy tips and insights, hop on to our Instagram.
Finally, Himalayan Natives wishes every foodie and health freak a very Healthy and Happy New Year. This coming 2023 we promise to bring you more of our delicious, flavourful and natural food products, stay tuned.