There is a very popular witty joke about urad dal. “What did urad dal say to parboiled rice? We could do batter”. It’s a silly joke but it is sure to bring a smile to your face. Urad Dal originated in India and has been cultivated since ancient times. It is one of the most popular and widely used dal in the nation and can be found in every Indian kitchen.
Urad dal is used not just to make the basic dal for lunches or dinners but to make some amazing mouth-watering dishes too. It can be used to make multigrain chilla, urad dal ladoo, urad dal kachori, Bengalis use it to make radhaballavi which is a popular street food snack. Many South Indian foods are prepared with white urad dal recipes. It is used to make different types of idlis, vadas, and dosas. Even when it comes to only making an urad dal as a side dish there are many recipes. Some of us make it dry using the white split urad dal, some enjoy it with an onion tomato gravy, some people pair the black split urad dal with chana dal in their recipes and some of us use the black urad dal to make the delectable dal makhani.
No matter how you cook it, this dal is a powerhouse of protein and other nutrients. It forms an essential part of a wholesome meal.
Improves Digestion - Urad dal is a rich source of dietary fiber- both soluble and insoluble. This fiber is an important substance that improves digestion.
Boosts Energy - Urad dal is a rich source of iron, which in turn helps to increase the overall energy levels in the body.
Improves Bone Health - Urad dal consists of essential minerals like magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, and calcium, which play an important role in improving bone mineral density.
Himalayan Natives is a trusted brand for 100% natural foods. They offer us a wide variety of products including many pulses. Himalayan Natives’ Urad Dal retains the texture and purity of natural dal. It is rich in iron, calcium, and protein. We will use this dal in our recipe below to make a delicious dhaba style dal which is an all-time favorite. It is not only a treat for the mouth but also a treat for the overall health of the body.
So let’s get started.
Dhaba Style Urad Dal Recipe
With warming flavors, this white urad dal recipe makes a perfect vegetarian meal to go with rotis, parathas, steamed rice, or tandoori pulao. Pair it with some salad, pickle, papad, and curd, and enjoy a wholesome meal. If you are looking out for a tasty white urad dal recipe this comforting recipe surely fits the bill.
- 1/2 cup urad dal, pressure cooked for 2 whistles (washed and soaked in water for around 2 hours).
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 inch finely minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed kasuri methi
- 3 slit green chilis
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Garam masala powder large pinch
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped for garnish
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- In a small pan, heat ghee and oil.
- Once hot, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add the kasuri methi and finely minced garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Then add the remaining minced ginger and green chilies and mix, followed by some red chili powder.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for a few minutes.
- Immediately add the cooked dal and mix. Add garam masala powder and allow to simmer on low flame till the desired consistency is achieved.
- Turn off the flame and remove it to a serving bowl.
- Garnish it with some chopped coriander leaves and serve it with roti, paratha, or rice of your choice.
Enjoy this delicious wholesome meal with your family or friends. You can add a spoonful of ghee on top while serving since it adds a distinctive flavor to the dal. This recipe is very nutritive and gives you all the health benefits from the dal and our beloved ghee which is the goldmine of nutrition.
For more scrumptious Indian recipes read our blog on 5 delicious Indian recipes using ghee.