Native to Asia and the USA, moong dal is one of the healthiest sources of plant protein. There are two types of moong dal:- green and yellow. Green moong dal can be found in different forms such as whole, split, or ground. Yellow moong dal on the other hand is skimmed, split, easy to cook, and doesn't require much soaking. You will often find dosa, fritters, chilla, moong dal halwa, and payasam as common dishes served around the country. Apart from being delicious, it provides you with lots of fiber and nutrients which is why it is considered a common ingredient in India. Khichdi is especially one of the dishes which doesn't require a lot of effort. It is a simple one-pot recipe that provides you with a feeling of warmth and comfort.
To know the full recipe of moong dal khichdi you can read our blog on Makar Sankranti Recipes: A Nostalgia of Exquisite Flavors!
Moong dal chilla is another famous dish often topped with veggies and other ingredients. Do check out our Instagram post on chana dal chilla recipe and just replace the chana dal with moong dal. Moong dal is also used to prepare authentic Indian sweet dishes on special occasions like Diwali, Onam, Dussehra, etc. Moong dal sweet recipes are very easy to make and don’t require a lot of ingredients.
Moong Dal Halwa
Moong dal halwa is a special and memorable sweet dish for every Indian. The rich taste and aroma of the halwa are what make you drool. Moong dal halwa is prepared as a tradition in Indian households for every big or small win in a family. Many of us might even have a fond memory of eating moong dal halwa right after the puja as prasad.
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- ¾ cup ghee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon chopped cashews
- Firstly wash off the dal and let it soak in water for about 15-17 hours.
- Grind it in a mixer to make a coarse paste.
- The next step is to heat the pan and add ¾ cup ghee to it.
- Let the ghee heat up a little bit and add the paste to the pan. Keep stirring the paste on a low flame until it turns light brown. This process might typically take about 10-15 minutes.
- Add ½ cup milk and 2 cup water simultaneously while stirring the halwa on a low flame for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ½ cup sugar to it and keep stirring until you see the lumps getting dissolved in the halwa.
- Once the halwa changes to brown color and the ghee separates from the pan, your dish is done. Garnish the halwa with chopped almonds and cashews and serve hot!
Moong Dal Payasam
Moong dal is not only a great cooling agent but is also the star of many festivities. One such recipe is Moong Dal Payasam which is prepared during Navratri, Onam, or any auspicious occasion. Try this delectable recipe and you will find out the reason for its popularity!
- 1/2 + 1 1/2 tsp Ghee
- 1/3 Cup Moong Dal
- 2 + 2/3 Cups Water
- 2/3 Cup Jaggery
- 1/8 tsp Cardamom
- 2/3 Cup Coconut Milk
- 5 Cashews (powdered or chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Dry Coconut
- Heat up a pan and add ½ tsp ghee to it. Once the ghee is warm add the ⅓ cup moong dal to the pan and let it roast until it turns brown in color.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan and keep stirring it for about 5 minutes on a medium flame. Ensure that you don’t mash the dal. You can also add in ½ cup of water if the pan gets dry.
- Add the jaggery powder to the pan and keep simmering the mixture until the jaggery gets completely dissolved with the dal.
- Add cardamom powder and ⅔ cup coconut milk to the mixture and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Adjust the sweetness according to your liking and voila! Your payasam is ready.
- For the topping, heat 1 ½ cup ghee on a medium flame. Add coconut powder, cashews and roast them for a couple of minutes.
- Add them to the payasam and serve hot.
Moong dal invokes a sense of warmth in us. Be it a piping hot bowl of dal with every meal or these delicious desserts, this dal never fails to impress. Moong dal has innumerable cooking possibilities while providing all the essential nutrients to our bodies. Do try out these recipes and share them with your friends and family.