The holy month of fasting and worshiping is here! Ramadan is here! Ramadan is a holy month that is celebrated by Muslims from around the world every year. It denotes the celebration of the holy book “Quran” for people who follow Islam as a religion. It is believed that during this time prophet Muhammad received acknowledgment from God which was carefully documented in the holy book. All the members of the family fast for the entire month to show their devotion to their religion. Those who are fasting are not supposed to eat or drink anything during daylight. They break their fast during “Sehri” and “Iftar”. Sehri refers to the meal intake before dawn and is the beginning of the fast. Iftar refers to the meal that is eaten after the sunset. Eid-ul-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan when relatives and friends gather together to enjoy a feast during the daytime after following a month’s fast.
While Ramadan brings a lot of positivity and spirituality with itself it is also essential to consume healthy food during this time to keep your body fit and energetic. It is important to keep a check on the nutrition requirement of the body to sustain the fasting period. It is advisable to include the right amount of carbohydrates, nutrients, vitamins, and fiber in all your meals during ‘Sehri’ and ‘Iftar’. To help you plan your meals with the right amount of nutrients we have curated a list of healthy and delicious Ramadan recipes for you.
A dry fruit milkshake can be the perfect addition to a healthy iftar recipe. It will keep you full for a longer time and allow you to feel energized. A dry fruit milkshake is rich in iron, calcium, and protein and is easy to prepare, and is loved by almost everyone. It will provide you with a refreshing and charged feeling.
- 2 ½ cups of chilled milk
- 1 tbsp of jaggery powder or 1tbsp of raw natural honey
- 4 almonds
- 6 cashews
- 4 raisins
- A pinch of saffron
- Soak in almonds and cashews overnight in room temperature water.
- Rinse off the dry fruits and peel off the skin of the almonds.
- Add the cashews, almonds, jaggery powder, and milk to a mixer.
- Blend it until you see a smooth paste and notice the jaggery gets dissolved.
- Pour the milkshake into the glass and garnish it with saffron and raisins.
- Add ice cubes and serve chilled.
Milkshakes are the ultimate favorite choice of kids. To add in the extra sweetness you can also add vanilla or chocolate ice cream to it and fruits of your choice and end your meal on a high note.
Dal Ke Kebab
We got you drooling, didn’t we? Who doesn’t love kebabs? It is one of the most popular Ramadan recipes. They are crispy on the outside and layered with hung curd on the inside. This recipe will satisfy your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
- 2 cup chana dal
- 100 grams breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- A handful of freshly chopped coriander
- Wash and soak the dal in water for about 30-40 minutes.
- Boil the chana dal with 2 cups of water adding salt and turmeric powder to it.
- Let the daal cook until the water is completely dissolved.
- Let it cool down for a bit and mash it completely.
- Add coriander leaves, garam masala, cumin seed, red chili powder, and cornflour to the dal and mix it well forming a dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and shape them into round balls. Now, using the breadcrumbs evenly coat the tikkis.
- Further, heat the pan and pour oil into it. Once the oil is warm, deep fry the tikkis in cow milk ghee until they turn golden brown.
The rich aroma and taste of the kebabs make them a simple yet fulfilling snack.
Baklava is an irresistible Ramadan sweet dish. It is made up of layers of flaky phyllo pastry filled with crushed nuts and sweetened with honey. It is the perfect dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth and end your meal on a high note.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 packet of phyllo dough
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 cup jaggery powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachios
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C and apply butter to a 9*13 inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix cinnamon, almond, pistachio, and walnuts.
- Unroll the phyllo dough and cut it into half so that it fits the baking dish. Make sure to cover the dough with a cloth to keep it from drying out.
- Place both the sheets in the baking dish and make sure you spread it out evenly. Brush the layer with butter and sprinkle it with 2-3 tbsp of nut mixture placed in the bowl.
- Repeat the same process until you form a layer of a total of 6 sheets. Using a knife cut the sheet into a diamond shape ensuring it is cut all the way through the bottom of the dish.
- Bake the baklava for 50 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- In the meantime add the jaggery powder and water to a saucepan and bring them to a boil on medium flame.
- Add the honey syrup, vanilla essence, and lemon zest to it and let it simmer for about 15 minutes on low flame.
- Once the baklava is ready remove it from the oven and pour the syrup over the baklava. Let it cook down a bit.
- Enjoy your baklava.
This mouthwatering and satiating sweet recipe can be stored for up to 2 weeks in an air-tight container at room temperature.
Here’s a tip for you on how to savor the strength of sweetness and enjoy your favorite dessert without any guilt.
We hope you have a great time enjoying these healthy and delicious Ramadan recipes. Ramadan fasting is a 30-day long period in which Muslims abstain from eating and drinking from dawn to dusk. It is therefore advisable to consume the most healthy and nutritious food that gives the body the required nutrition. If you don’t follow a healthy and sustainable diet it can be very difficult to get through this fasting period. It can also lead to digestive issues, lower blood pressure, low levels of sugar, and lower energy levels.
This summer beat the heat with something cold, refreshing, and healthy. We have a surprise for you, head over to our Instagram page to find out.