Ghee has been an integral part of every Indian kitchen since time immemorial. My brother and I grew up to the continuous chants of benefits of ghee by our mother. And while she was at it, she never missed garnishing our meals with pure desi ghee. Even today my mother never misses a chance to boast about how she made sure that we ate enough ghee as kids. As I entered adolescence, size zero was trending. My mother would let me play around with my meals but never allowed me to skip ghee from my diet. She absolutely paid no heed to my numerous protests. During my pregnancy, my mother took charge of all my meals. She would make sure I drank two glasses of pure cow milk daily and ate a spoonful of desi Gir cow ghee with every meal.
With growing awareness and the need for a healthier lifestyle, we have all realized the importance of ghee. I now thank her for her persistence. According to Ayurveda, when pure ghee goes through an aging process of 1-10 years in an airtight container it enhances its medicinal properties. This old ghee ‘Purana Ghrita’ has very unique benefits in neurological and psychological disorders. It's not just ancient Ayurveda but even the modern dieticians now extoll the goodness and nutritional properties of pure ghee.
There are two major factors that determine the quality of ghee:
• The Quality of raw milk: The quality of cow’s raw milk is one of the major factors in determining the purity of ghee. Ayurveda suggests that using the milk of grass fed desi breeds of cows such as the gir cow yields the best quality produce of pure ghee. This cow milk has the A2 beta-casein protein and provides A2 cow ghee which is the highest in nutrition. Thus, gir cow milk is used to produce the best A2 cow ghee in India. Other mixed breeds of cows produce large quantities of milk but its quality might not be as good as the quality of milk that Gir cow produces.
• The process used to make ghee: The second factor which determines the quality of milk is the method used for the production of ghee. A2 milk when used to produce ghee using the traditional bilona method gives premium quality pure A2 ghee. In this process, the milk is boiled, converted into curd, churned to separate the butter and this butter is then boiled to get pure ghee which is stored in glass jars. Even though the commercial method of churning ghee is much faster, it is however not pure A2 ghee. These commercial places rely on milk from various small and unorganized farms which provides better milk to ghee substitute and is cheap. Anyhow, this type of ghee lacks nutritional values and is not easily digestible
Gir Cow Ghee Benefits:
Gir cow ghee is like a goldmine of nutrients. It maintains good health, vitality, and longevity. It is lactose-free as all the milk solids are completely removed during its production. So even lactose-intolerant people can consume this golden elixir and take advantage of its numerous health benefits.
• Great source of essential nutrients: Gir cow ghee is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin A, B2, B3, K2, Omega 3, and 9 fatty acids. It is one of the strongest natural antioxidants and helps in taking care of the body's overall health.
• Boosts Immunity: Gir cow ghee also contains Butyric acid which helps to strengthen immunity by increasing T-cell production, which fights against allergens in the gut. Eating this pure ghee regularly can therefore help boost your immunity.
• Aids Heart Health: Gir cow ghee is also known to aids heart health. Omega 3 fatty acids help in reducing fat cells, triglycerides (harmful in excess), and inflammation in the body. All this further promotes heart health. This ghee is a great source of these Omega 3 fatty acids which help to make your heart healthy and happy.
• Helps promote weight loss: Ghee from grass-fed cows like the A2 Gir cow ghee contains a high amount of conjugated linolenic acid(CLA). This CLA helps speed up the fat-burning process and it may help promote weight loss.
• Aids bone health: Pure A2 Gir cow ghee helps promote strong bones. Vitamin K2 helps in the deposition of calcium in the required places of the skeletal system. Consumption of gir cow ghee also reduces the risk of degenerative diseases by preventing the calcification of soft tissues.
• Helps in Muscle Growth: A2 desi cow ghee consists of Vitamin A which supports protein synthesis and glycogen production. It also contains Vitamin B, which is an antioxidant and blocks the effects of free radicals that hamper muscle growth. Gir cow ghee, therefore, plays an important part in the body’s well-being and supports muscle growth.
With so many benefits to offer, pure cow ghee has become an essential part of my life. I start my day with a teaspoon of ghee with warm milk. I enjoy it over my dal, sabzi, khichdi, kadhi, roti, and in fact, everything I eat. I however make sure that I don't go overboard and add it on top of my meals only in moderation. Even for all my Indian cooking, I use A2 Bilona Cow Ghee. There is a common misconception that we can't use pure ghee for frying. Ghee has a very high smoke point of 485 degrees fahrenheit which is higher than most other oils making it an ideal choice even for frying.
You can also introduce them into your diet and get all the goodness from these golden drops of purity like many of us do. Just make sure you choose a good quality A2 Gir Cow Ghee that is made using the traditional Bilona method like the one by Himalayan Natives.
You can thank me later!