How does ghee help you stay young?
We all agree with the fact that ghee makes our dishes healthier and tasty, and it has been an intrinsic part of our cuisine for quite some time. It has the ability to nourish both the mind and body, thereby helping us stay young. Staying young does not only imply appearing young on the outside, it also refers to how active you are mentally and how healthy you are physically and emotionally. So without further delay, let’s have a look into the ways by which ghee helps one stay young.
- Acts as a brain tonic – Nearly 60 percent of the brain is fat and every single neuron (brain cell) is insulated by a fatty material called myelin sheath. This is why we can see people stress the importance of fat, which is required for enhancing electrical impulses of the axons (connectors in the brain).
One should however keep in mind the difference in the quality of fat. For example, we should avoid non-organic, hydrogenated fats such as trans-fatty acids and instead go with healthy fats from pure oils. As per Ayurveda, ghee is one of the healthiest sources of edible fat, and according to nutritionists, ghee is very good for your brain and nerves. Ghee contains high levels of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, which are ideal for healthy brain development. Deficiency of these fatty acids has been linked to an increased risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s. Hence, do make it a point to have ghee regularly as it can aid better brain functioning, and can keep you active.
- Energy booster – Ever wondered why you feel so sluggish more often nowadays? The changing season could be one of the reasons. A tablespoon of ghee could be the solution as it is literally a powerhouse of energy, which has almost 112 KCALs of energy. As per the book ‘Healing Foods’, ghee can be considered as a good source of energy. It is very similar to carbohydrates as it is absorbed in a similar way by our body. Medium-chain fatty acids in ghee are very useful for the body and can be processed by the liver as energy. Consuming ghee can provide you with a burst of energy which can help to get through a challenging day.
- Prevents diseases – Compared to most of the cooking oils, ghee has a higher smoke point (i.e; it does not burn easily). A higher smoke point means it generates less free radicals. Higher the number of free radicals, higher is the chance of contracting long-term diseases. When we use ghee for cooking, the chances of getting infected with diseases are reduced. Ghee is rich in antioxidants which in turn prevents the formation of free radicals. Ghee also contains medium and short-chain fatty acids, of which, lauric acid is a potent acid containing antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
- Improves heart health – Ghee has been held responsible for increase in cholesterol levels, but in reality, ghee is a much safer bet when compared to many of the refined oils. Studies have shown that desi cow ghee made from the milk of free-ranging cows is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which have the ability to reduce bad cholesterol in the blood. Ghee is also rich in conjugated linoleic acid, or CLA, a fatty acid known to be protective against diseases such as diabetes, artery plaque, and carcinogens. Ghee can potentially be used to help prevent cardiovascular diseases as well.
- Strengthens the immune system – Weak immune system will make your body susceptible to diseases and ghee can make a drastic change to this situation. Presence of antioxidants in ghee increases the body’s ability to absorb vitamins and minerals thereby keeping the immune system stronger. Butyric acid in ghee also strengthens the immune system. Fat soluble vitamins and minerals boost our immunity, and ghee helps in the absorption of these nutrients as well.
- Aids weight loss – Looking for ways to pull down those extra pounds? Ghee could be the answer. Presence of CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), a type of omega-6 fatty acid in ghee is what helps you with your weight loss goals. This fatty acid plays a vital role in improving lean body mass while reducing unwanted body fats thereby assisting with overall weight management. Some of the reasons why you should consider ghee for weight loss are:
- Ghee contains amino acids that can help in burning body fat to provide energy to the body.
- Consuming ghee can help you with your digestion.
- Presence of antioxidants in ghee strengthens your immunity and helps you keep away from seasonal allergies.
- Provides essential healthy fats – For performing vital functions such as supporting the brain, nerve and skin health, the human body needs certain fats and these fats can be provided by ghee.
- Good for the skin:
- Hydrates dry skin – Ghee contains all the essential good fatty acids that can induce hydration in the skin cells. Hence it can hydrate the skin naturally.
- Works as a face moisturizer – Not just your body, ghee can moisturize your delicate skin on the face as well. Using ghee as a moisturizer can make your skin incredibly soft and smooth.
- For dark circles – Instead of spending highly on those fancy cosmetics, try ghee instead. Getting rid of those dark circles can never get any easier.
- Good for your hair:
Reasons why you should consider ghee for hair care:
- Hydrates the hair – One of the major causes of dull, dry and damaged hair is lack of moisture, and using ghee can be a solution to this. Ghee has the ability to nourish the scalp and hair follicles from within thereby restoring your hair’s health.
- Improves hair texture – Applying ghee on the hair and scalp can bring extra smoothness and shine that you always wanted. Use ghee and rub gently on your scalp and hair and let it stay for a few hours and then wash it off with a shampoo.
- Works as a deep conditioner – Ghee can be used as an overnight deep conditioning treatment for your hair.
- Promotes hair growth – Massaging your hair with ghee not only conditions the hair but also stimulates blood circulation in the scalp which can promote hair growth, making them grow thicker and longer.
Such factors show us that Ghee is a sure-shot superfood that can help you keep slow the ageing of your cells. Apart from all this, don’t forget to live your life happily if you want to feel youthful throughout!